Wednesday, March 30, 2011

St. Philips Bowling Alley

At a church, through a gym, down some stairs and behind a pre-school is a unique little piece of Vancouver history that not many people know about. A skinny two lane bowling alley from the late 40’s.
I could find little to no information on this bowling alley online but, from the rules that are still hung on the wall (pictured at the bottom of this post) , it looks like it used to be a busy little place probably a fun and safe hang-out for teens on the weekends.
The balls and pins are still there and it is used mostly for storage for the pre-school that's on the other side.
If anyone knows any further info on this, please send me what you know in an email to : joncranny@gmail.com and I will update this post with the new info.




The whole operation is manual and I'm guessing someone would just sit on the perch and had the task of setting up the pins all night.

Here is a shot of one of the score tables that has local adverts on it. It's hard to tell but, the phone number was only 5 numbers long. Oh, the good old days when you didn't have to dial so many numbers.





I tried to get a good shot of the rules on the wall but couldn't get it to show up clear enough.

One thing that caught my eye was the fact that it's high-lighted that there is no room and to be patient for your turn. This had to have been a pretty popular spot to hang out.

















Of course I had to bowl a few frames. Got a strike on my first roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment